125g fresh or packet lasagne
500g/1lb lean minced beef or turkey
1 large onion, chopped finely
25g/1oz mushrooms, chopped finely
1 red pepper, chopped finely
2 carrots, chopped finely
2 celery sticks, chopped finely
425g/14oz tinned chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chopped fresh ½ tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp chopped fresh ½ tsp dried basil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper
300ml/ ½ pint stock, meat or vegetable
300 ml/ ½ pint skimmed milk
50g/2 oz cornflour
Salt and pepper
15g/ ½ oz butter
50g/2oz low-fat grated cheese, grated
125g/4oz cottage cheese
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C/325 °F/gas mark 3
- Take the vegetables for the red sauce and sauté in a heavy based pan in 1 tbsp of water. Add the tinned tomatoes, herbs, garlic, tomato puree, salt and pepper.
- Add the meat and stock and stir well. Pour the sauce into an ovenproof dish and place in the oven for 1 hour or until the sauce has thickened. Alternatively cook in a saucepan on top of the oven on a low/moderate heat for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- When this is nearly ready, prepare the white sauce. Place 4 tbsp of the milk into a bowl and add the cornflour, salt and pepper to make a smooth paste. Put the remaining milk and the butter into a pan and heat gently before adding the cheese – do not allow boiling. Pour the warm milk and butter into the cornflour mixture, mix well and return to the pan. Stir until smooth and thick.
- Place a layer of the red sauce containing the meat into the bottom of an ovenproof dish, cover with lasagne and then red sauce again. Follow this with a layer of white sauce, another layer of lasagne and then cover completely with the cottage cheese. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 30 mi
- nutes at 150 °C /300 °F/gas mark 2.
Vegetarian Lasagne – replace the meat with 500g/1lb mixed vegetables of your choice, such as mushroom, onions, carrots, peppers (green or red) or courgettes. Prepare as above.