- Heat the oil gently and add the onions, garlic, bay leaf, celery and carrots. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, add the lentils and stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Set the oven to 180 Â°C/350 Â°F/gas mark 4
- Lay half the courgettes in an ovenproof dish, cover the lentil mixture, top with the remaining courgettes and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Mix the cheese, breadcrumbs and cayenne pepper together and spread over the courgettes. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Serves 4 1 tsp olive oil 1 onion, chopped finely 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 bay leaf 2 celery sticks, sliced thinly 2 carrots, diced 250g/8oz red lentils 600ml/1 pint vegetable stock 500g/1lb courgettes, sliced Salt and pepper 25g/1oz Cheddar cheese, grated 25g/1oz fresh breadcrumbs Pinch of cayenne pepper