- 2 onions sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 125g/4oz mushrooms, sliced
- 425/14oz tinned chilli beans
- 400g/`13oz tinned tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 sprig parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 4 chicken fillets
- 2 oranges
- Splash of Worcester sauce
Chilli Vegetables with Orange
- Place the onions, pepper and mushrooms in a casserole pan with a thick bottom.
- Sweat the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the chilli beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, tomato puree, and parsley and chilli powder.
- Grill the chicken pieces for about 2 minutes to just seal the outside.
- Squeeze the juice from 1 orange onto the vegetable mixture and then add the chicken pieces.
- Top with a layer of sliced orange from the remaining orange.
- Cover the casserole and cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours over a low heat or until the sauce is thick. Serve with rice.
Replace the chicken with 500g/1lb root vegetables, such as swede and carrots. Prepare as above but add 125g/4oz of cooked lentils 10 minutes before serving.